The next Windows Phone update in the pipeline is GDR3 and Nokia will be bringing the Bittersweet Shimmer update for its Lumia devices as well along with the GDR3. The details as to what the updates will bring has just been revealed in an unofficial changelog.
We know that the GDR3 update will be bringing Windows Phone to the level of Android in terms of hardware but there are certain software features it will bring as well. Nokia will also bring the exclusive Bittersweet Shimmer update for the Lumias.
There are some things we come to know about both the GDR3 and Bittesweet Shimmer. The GDR3 update will bring advanced chipsets and 1080p display support and a new tile option which will also make its way to the current high end devices with 1280 x 768 displays such as the Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020 along with HTC’s 8X and Samsung’s Ativ S.
Check out the full unofficial changelog:
- Support for 1080p display for new devices like the Lumia 1520.
- Support for new processors.
- 3 medium or 6 small tiles on a row for phones with screen resolution higher than WXGA (1280 x 768) including Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020 and of course the Lumia 1520.
- Close apps by tapping on the X on top right in multitasking view. The icon of the app appears below.
- Custom tones for text or IM, voicemail, email and reminders.
- Screen Rotation lock: When auto-rotate screen is off, your screen will stay in the current orientation when you rotate your phone.
- Driving Mode: Turns of all notifications except texts and phone calls when you’re driving. You can also turn calls and texts off completely or set Driving Mode to text and automatic reply like “Hey, I am driving right now. I’ll reply you later.” Driving Mode can start automatically when your phone connects to a Bluetooth device.
- Connect to WiFi in OOBE when switching on your new phone for the first time or after you your reset your phone, so you can restore your data even before connecting to a cellular network.
- Attach Offices files (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and .pdf files in email.
Glance Screen: Notifications in glance screen similar to the notifications on the lock screen. Choose from any of the 20 accent colours for night mode instead of just red in Amber. You can choose whether you want to keep the glance screen always on when charging, in Amber it is always on when charging.
New apps: Nokia Camera, Storyteller, etc.
The update brings some nice little touches to Windows Phone but we hope Windows Phone 8.1 truly brings some ground breaking features along with bringing the functionality on par with Android. Nokia and Microsoft should reveal all the details of the GDR3 and Bittersweet Shimmer at the Nokia World event on October 22nd so stay tuned.